
🌿🍃 THE GREAT DEBATE OF LITTLE TREES
PART TWO — Tara: The Bonsai Have Formed a Government
In my defense, when a magical bonsai tells you someone has stolen the First Lantern, you investigate.
That is simply responsible citizenship.
DeNae disagreed.
DeNae’s position was that responsible citizens keep their four o’clock Lantern Tea reservations.
She mentioned the mochi seven times while we walked through the glowing stone gate.
Eight if you count:
“I hope the thief CHOKES on one.”
Which felt excessive.
The other side of the gate was astonishing.
The Japanese Garden stretched farther than it possibly could in the real world.
Hundreds of tiny trees filled terraces carved into a moonlit hillside.
Paper lanterns floated in the air without strings.
Little streams ran uphill.
Koi drifted through the sky.
Not jumped.
Drifted.
A large orange one floated past DeNae’s head.
She ducked.
“No.”
“What?”
“I am not acknowledging airborne fish.”
“It was beautiful.”
“It was a carp with no respect for gravity.”
Fair.
At the center of the garden stood a circular pavilion.
Inside it—
Chaos.
Absolute botanical chaos.
Hundreds of bonsai were shouting.
Branches waved.
Leaves fluttered.
Tiny blossoms flew through the air.
Someone had fashioned a miniature wooden gavel, which a cedar tree was repeatedly banging against a stone.
“ORDER!”
Nobody listened.
“ORDER!”
A little pine yelled:
“YOUR GREAT STORM WAS A DRIZZLE!”
A maple shouted:
“AT LEAST I HAVE A STORY!”
The cedar hammered harder.
“ORDER!”
DeNae looked at me.
“The bonsai have formed a government.”
“Apparently.”
“I’m going back.”
Master Kenzo blocked her path.
Which would have been more intimidating if he weren’t fifteen inches tall.
“The gate is closed until the First Lantern is returned.”
DeNae slowly looked down at him.
“You’re kidding.”
“I rarely kid.”
“You said we could leave.”
“I said no such thing.”
She pointed at me.
“This is why I establish boundaries.”
I whispered, “He’s technically right.”
“Not helping.”
⸻
The First Lantern, we learned, was older than every tree in the garden.
Which seemed questionable because I was pretty sure lanterns did not usually outlive trees, but this was also a place with flying koi and argumentative shrubbery, so I adjusted my expectations.
Each year, the Lantern was lit before the Great Debate.
Its flame allowed every bonsai to share one memory from its past.
That was how they told their stories.
Without it, nobody could prove anything.
Which explained the shouting.
A flowering plum tree was currently claiming she had once advised an emperor.
A juniper yelled:
“YOU WERE ON A WINDOWSILL!”
“THE EMPEROR HAD WINDOWS!”
“That proves NOTHING!”
The cedar slammed his gavel.
I leaned toward DeNae.
“I love this.”
“I know.”
“Can we keep one?”
“No.”
⸻
We examined the empty pedestal where the First Lantern had stood.
No footprints.
No broken branches.
No sign of forced entry.
Just three things.
A single red maple leaf.
A piece of silver wire.
And a drop of water.
DeNae picked up the wire.
“Bonsai wire.”
“Used to shape branches.”
Master Kenzo rustled.
“Yes.”
I studied the leaf.
It was bright red.
Too bright.
Almost glowing.
“Whose leaf?”
Immediately, fifty maple bonsai began yelling.
“NOT MINE!”
“I HAVE WITNESSES!”
“I WAS PRUNING!”
“I WAS ASLEEP!”
A tiny maple in the back shouted:
“I DEMAND COUNSEL!”
DeNae stared at me.
“They’ve watched too much television.”
One tiny tree near the pavilion quietly turned away.
I noticed.
So did Kenzo.
It was a strange little bonsai.
Smaller than the others.
Its trunk was pale and scarred.
Only three branches grew from one side.
And instead of standing proudly in an ornate ceramic pot like the others, it lived in a plain cracked bowl.
“What’s his name?” I whispered.
Master Kenzo hesitated.
“Ren.”
Ren heard us.
“I didn’t take it.”
DeNae walked toward him.
“We didn’t say you did.”
“You were thinking it.”
“I was thinking about dumplings.”
True.
I crouched beside Ren.
One of his branches was wrapped in silver wire.
Fresh wire.
But his leaves were green.
Not red.
“Where were you when the lantern disappeared?”
Ren’s tiny branches drooped.
“Outside.”
“Where?”
“Near the old bridge.”
Master Kenzo said quietly:
“Nothing grows beyond the old bridge.”
Ren didn’t answer.
Interesting.
Very interesting.
⸻
We followed Ren.
Past the lantern terraces.
Past the floating koi.
Past a bamboo grove where every stalk whispered different directions just to be annoying.
“Left.”
“Right.”
“Left.”
“Definitely right.”
“Turn around.”
“Ask for directions.”
DeNae yelled:
“WE DID!”
The bamboo laughed.
Eventually we reached the old bridge.
It crossed a narrow stream disappearing beneath thick mist.
On the opposite side was darkness.
No trees.
No lanterns.
Nothing.
Ren stopped.
“I come here sometimes.”
“Why?” I asked.
He hesitated.
“Because nobody argues here.”
Reasonable.
Then something glowed in the fog.
Red.
The maple leaf in my hand began to shine.
DeNae noticed.
“Well, that seems important.”
We crossed the bridge.
At the other side, we found a path that shouldn’t exist.
Broken lanterns lined it.
Old ones.
Dozens.
Maybe hundreds.
Each covered in moss.
And at the very end stood a stone basin filled with water.
Floating inside it—
The First Lantern.
DeNae folded her arms.
“Ren.”
“I DIDN’T PUT IT THERE!”
For once, I believed the tiny tree immediately.
Because the water around the lantern had begun moving.
Against the wind.
It spiraled around the stone basin.
Faster.
Faster.
Then rose into the air.
A woman stepped out of it.
Not exactly a woman.
More like the memory of one.
Her robes flowed like water.
Her long hair drifted around her shoulders.
Red maple leaves circled her feet.
Every bonsai went completely silent.
Even DeNae.
Which was impressive.
The spirit looked at Ren.
Then at Master Kenzo.
“You forgot.”
Kenzo’s branches stiffened.
“I forget very little.”
“You forgot me.”
Silence.
Then Kenzo whispered:
“Aiko.”
Ohhhhhhh.
Mystery.
⸻
Aiko had been the gardener’s daughter.
The same gardener we had seen centuries ago.
The man who saved Kenzo’s cutting from the fire.
Afterward, when Kenzo was little more than one surviving branch planted in a pot, Aiko had cared for him.
She watered him.
Protected him.
Talked to him.
And, apparently, argued with him constantly.
Kenzo claimed she was stubborn.
Aiko claimed he was impossible.
I believed both.
“She refused to shape me,” Kenzo said.
Aiko smiled.
“Everyone else was trying to make you beautiful.”
“You said I already was.”
“You were hideous.”
DeNae snorted.
I elbowed her.
Aiko continued.
“I said you were alive.”
There it was.
The whole story.
Kenzo had become famous because he refused to grow perfectly.
Other bonsai remembered him because he survived what should have destroyed him.
But there was another reason.
After Aiko died, Kenzo had started the Great Debate.
Not because he wanted trees competing over which story mattered most.
He wanted every tree to tell its story.
Because Aiko had taught him that survival looked different for everyone.
Beauty looked different.
Strength looked different.
And no tree should be judged against another tree’s shape.
Somehow, over hundreds of years, the bonsai had forgotten the point.
The storytelling became boasting.
The memories became competition.
The Great Debate became—
Well.
The Great Screaming Match of Little Trees.
Aiko had taken the Lantern.
Not to steal it.
To remind them why it existed.
Master Kenzo was quiet for a long time.
Then he muttered:
“I may have become slightly distracted.”
Aiko raised an eyebrow.
“Slightly?”
“A century or two.”
“Kenzo.”
“Three.”
DeNae whispered:
“I love her.”
So did I.
⸻
We carried the First Lantern back.
Technically DeNae carried it because I tried first and nearly dropped it when a koi floated through my hair.
There are limits.
The entire bonsai assembly fell silent when Aiko entered the pavilion.
Then she placed the lantern on its pedestal.
The flame ignited.
Gold.
Warm.
Soft.
One by one, the bonsai stopped arguing.
The flowering plum whispered:
“I never advised an emperor.”
The juniper said:
“We know.”
“I was near an emperor.”
“You were in a courtyard.”
“He walked past.”
“That counts a little.”
The pine cleared his branches.
“My Great Storm…”
Everyone groaned.
He continued:
“…was mostly rain.”
The pavilion erupted in laughter.
Even the trees.
Especially the trees.
Master Kenzo moved to the center.
His crooked little trunk looked completely ordinary among hundreds of beautiful specimens.
Yet every tree turned toward him.
“I was once tall,” he said.
“I survived fire.”
“I lost almost everything.”
“I grew again.”
He paused.
“And when gardeners tried to make me straight…”
Aiko said:
“You refused.”
Kenzo’s branches rustled.
“I preferred my own direction.”
I smiled.
There it was.
That was his character.
Stubborn.
Dry.
Proud.
Funny when he didn’t mean to be.
And completely unwilling to let anyone else decide what shape his life should take.
That was why they remembered him.
Not because he was the prettiest bonsai.
Not because he was the oldest.
Not even because he survived the fire.
They remembered Kenzo because after surviving it, he taught generations of little trees that being changed by hardship did not make their story less beautiful.
And because, apparently, he once broke seventeen shaping wires in a single summer.
“Eighteen,” Kenzo corrected me.
Of course.
⸻
The garden began glowing.
The magical terraces faded.
The koi floated gently back into their pond.
The stone gate appeared.
DeNae grabbed my arm.
“FOOD.”
“Yes.”
“MOVE.”
We ran.
Through the gate.
Down the path.
Past the bonsai terrace.
Across the bridge.
Around the pond.
Out of the Japanese Garden.
I checked my phone.
6:42 PM.
DeNae stopped running.
I nearly collided with her.
“No.”
I looked toward the Lantern Tea pavilion.
Empty.
Tables cleared.
Lanterns extinguished.
Not a dumpling in sight.
A little sign stood beside the entrance.
THANK YOU FOR JOINING US!
SEE YOU NEXT YEAR!
DeNae read it.
Then slowly turned toward me.
I prepared myself.
“You said twenty minutes.”
“I know.”
“We missed the tea.”
“I know.”
“We missed the dumplings.”
“I know.”
“The honey cakes.”
“Yes.”
Her voice dropped.
“The six kinds of mochi.”
I considered running.
Then a tiny voice came from inside my purse.
“Technically there were eight varieties.”
I froze.
DeNae froze.
Very slowly, I opened my purse.
Inside sat Master Kenzo.
Pot and all.
I screamed.
DeNae yelled:
“WHY IS THERE A TREE IN YOUR HANDBAG?!”
“I DON’T KNOW!”
Kenzo rustled.
“Aiko suggested I broaden my horizons.”
“You live in the Japanese Garden!”
“I’ve seen it.”
“You can’t come home with me!”
“That remains to be seen.”
DeNae bent over laughing.
I stared at the tiny ancient tree sitting beside my wallet.
“You are going back.”
“Tomorrow.”
“Tonight.”
“I dislike traveling after dark.”
“You just traveled through time!”
“I was younger then.”
DeNae was now laughing so hard she had tears in her eyes.
I pointed at her.
“This is not funny.”
“It absolutely is.”
Master Kenzo cleared his branches.
“There is, however, something you may find useful.”
He tapped one root against the side of his pot.
A small compartment opened beneath it.
Inside were two perfectly wrapped mochi.
DeNae stopped laughing.
We stared.
Kenzo said:
“Aiko plans ahead.”
I picked one up.
DeNae picked up the other.
We took one bite.
Then looked at each other.
“Oh.”
“Ohhhhh.”
Master Kenzo sounded smug.
“Worth missing the tea?”
“No,” DeNae said immediately.
I nodded.
“Absolutely not.”
The tree sighed.
“Humans.”
And somewhere behind us, deep inside the Japanese Garden, hundreds of tiny trees began arguing over which of them had the best dessert.
We did not turn around.
We had learned at least one thing.
🌿🍃✨ THE END



Отредактировано Tara 031cde (Сегодня 04:23:09)
- Подпись автора
Tara 🇺🇸 031cde
Guild: Double D’s